Some of the members from our chapter met last Saturday for the book club. A local author was chosen for March, A Pebble in a Pond by Layne T. Oliver. We were fully accommodated with the hearing loop and live captioning so everyone could participate. Participate we did! Discussion centered around the need for editing because this story was bogged down. We managed to have a lot of fun, laughter and smiling dominated the meeting.
Many suggestions were made for future book and narrowed down to four for the rest of the year. The chosen books are:
- May 21, 2016 All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.
- Sept 24, 2016 I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot By the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb
- Nov 19, 2016 House Girl by Tara Conklin
- Jan 21, 2017 Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Book Store by Robin Sloan
Since we are all big readers a few wanted the whole list of suggestions. Here they are:
- The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
- The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth
- The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin
Anyone may join the book discussions!
We meet at 10:00 at the Sanderson Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. We are done by 11:30. Join us in May for the next book.
When buying the books check half.com. It’s an ebay company, so, reputable and great prices.