Hearing Dogs is the next topic at our HLAA chapter meeting on January 19, 2019 from 10 AM-Noon. Bill Ordonez will be presenting, he is a former dog trainer for Hearing Dogs. The Hearing Dog is a service dog specifically selected and trained to assist Deaf and Hard of Hearing people. The dogs alert their handlers to important sound such as; doorbells, smoke alarms, ringing phones, alarm clocks and more.
- Can you train dogs yourself?
- Should you get a hearing dog from an organization?
- What breeds make a good hearing dog?
- Training expectations for owning a hearing dog.
- Expectations for a dog from an organization.
Bill worked at the Riverside, California Humane Society in the late 70’s while the program was still in its infancy. Currently he is working with a scent detection dog.
All our meetings have real-time captioning and assistive listening. If you need an ASL interpreter, please let email@example.com know. Thank you.